Electric vehicles are becoming more and more popular as each day passes. Many people prefer these vehicles over other ones since they have numerous advantages. In this article, we are going to review electric vehicles of various types.
First Of All, What Is An Electric Vehicle?
Electric vehicles are vehicles which run on electricity only. These vehicles are propelled by electric motors which are powered by rechargeable battery packs. The battery powered vehicles have several advantages over other vehicles running with internal combustion engines that use petroleum fuel.
There are currently many different ways these battery powered motors are being used. From full size passenger cars for commuting to work, to full size scooters. Then there are numerous recreational vehicles for adults and kids alike. Click here to read about our choices of the top 5 best electric motorcycles and dirt bikes for kids!
Advantages Of Electric Vehicles
- Cleaner: Most electric vehicles are cleaner than gas powered ones for two reasons; no exhaust fumes and no oils. Oil is usually used to lubricate gas engines, but it is virtually unnecessary with the battery operated vehicles. In addition, the electric toys you buy for children can be ridden indoors as it does not produce fumes. This is definitely a positive!
- Quieter: Electric motors do not produce loud revving sounds. This is a good thing as it relates to decibel levels of noise.
- Easier and cheaper maintenance: Even though its upfront price can sometimes be a little bit higher compared to the gas powered vehicles, the battery powered motors are easier and cheaper to maintain.
- Eco friendly: As the electric vehicles do not emit fumes, they are more environmental friendly than the gas powered ones.
- Energy efficient: Electric vehicles convert about 59-62% of the energy from the battery grid to power at the wheels but the gas powered vehicles only use 17 to 21 percent of the energy created to power the wheels.
Disadvantages Of Battery Powered Motors
- Range between charges: Most electric vehicles can travel between 40 to 100 miles between charges. For smaller toys like kids motorbikes the small motor can run about an hour. However, the gas powered vehicles exceed this range on even a minimal amount of fuel.
- Recharging time: The recharging time is another disadvantage of electric vehicles. Most batteries take at least two to three hours to be fully charged. Compared to the 10 minutes used to fuel gas powered vehicles in a gas station, the electric vehicles tend to be less efficient.
- Very risky: Since these vehicles do not produce sounds, they are difficult to be noticed on the roads by other vehicles. For this reason, they are prone to more accidents.
- It’s not convenient to individuals without electricity connections: There are a few stations that charge these vehicles. Therefore, people without electricity connections find it difficult to maintain them. In addition, people living in an apartment on the upper floor find it harder to reach the power outlet of these vehicles.
- Battery cost: The large battery packs are very expensive and need to be replaced one or more times after they wear out.
- Bulk and weight: The battery packs are heavy and take up a considerable vehicle space. However, researchers are working on improving the battery technology to increase the driving range, reduce recharging time, weight and cost.
With all that said, there are a lot of electric vehicles in the market; they include the four wheeled vehicles and the two wheeled vehicles. To date, the two wheeled vehicles are more popular than four wheeled vehicles as they are cheaper and more efficient. They include the electric scooters and electric motorcycles. Some of the best types of electric motorcycles in the market include:
- KillaCycle LSR Electric Motorcycle KTM Race-Ready Enduro Electric Motorcycle
- Zero X Electric Dirtbike Enertia Electric Motorcycle Voltzilla
- DIY Electric Kawasaki Motorcycle
- Razor Electric Bikes For Kids and Teens
How Do Electric Motorcycles Work?
Electric motorcycles work in similar way as the gas powered motorcycles work since they are also propelled by engines. The main difference is that the gas fueled motorcycles run on gas but the electric motorcycles run on batteries or fuel cells. Other differences are:
- The electric motorcycle uses more space to house the batteries than the gas powered motor cycles.
- The engine of the electric motorcycle is smaller than that of the gas powered motorcycle. In one new model, “The Enertia”, the engine is approximately the size of the alternator and is mounted low on the chassis which are in front of the rear wheel. A sprocket and chain connects the motor directly to the rear wheel.
Most electric motorcycle’s batteries may last 1.5 to 10 years depending of the type and the ways they are maintained. Some of the battery’s types available in the market include:
- Lithium Ion
- Lithium Phosphate
- Lithium Ion Phosphate
- Lead Acid
- Nickel Metal Hydride
Here is a video on how an electric works:
Quick Tips On How To Maintain Your Electric Motorbike
The biggest and coolest thing about battery powered motorcycles is how easy it is easy to keep them running well and repair them. Being able to maintain them will not only save you time but will also save you the expense of visiting a mechanic regularly.
Below are top 3 tips on how to keep you electric cycle running effectively.
- Keep your battery topped off: Some batteries are able to handle being drained off completely but, it is always a good idea to charge the battery whenever you can. Consider charging it during your short stop overs, while you are working and when you get to your destination. By ensuring that the batteries are always full, you will be able to improve the overall life of the battery and allow you to be always prepared for any eventualities.
- Keep the chain lubricated using a good bike chain lubricant: This keeps your motorcycle running smoothly and efficiently without making the squeaking noise that old motorbike’s make. Just apply the lubricant on the chain, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe the excess lubricant using a rag.
- Keep your tires inflated with the proper air pressure: This helps your motorcycle run smoothly and efficiently. It also reduces the chances of running on flat tires prevents the motorcycle from damaging the tube and rim.
With these tips, you will be in a position to maintain your electric motorcycle easily and avoid the frequent visits to the mechanic (or electrician?).
As I sum up, it is important to know that there are other electric vehicle models available in the market today. Almost every motor vehicle manufacturer offers more details about their vehicles on the internet. Therefore, you should research properly and decide which your preferred choice is. In addition, you should have a basic idea of where you may get the vehicle’s spare parts and ensure that you get a warranty for each.