Keurig may not have been the first company to market a one cup solution for coffee drinkers (that distinction belongs to Nespresso), but they now control the largest market share. Founded in 1992 and named Keurig (which in the Dutch language means “excellence”) the company first introduced their Keurig machines in 1998. Green Mountain Coffee has an interest in Keurig, but the main reasons they enjoy such popularity is the array of different models available to consumers and the extremely vast amount of K-Cups on the market.
The K-Cup market is packed with excellent variety made by some of the most well known names in the coffee and tea industry. Brands include Green Mountain Coffee, Newman’s Own, Twinings of London, Emerils and another 20 popular brands. Altogether they produce almost 250 different K-Cups for purchase. These varieties include:
- Amazing amounts of different blends/brands of coffee. Bold types and mild blends don’t even begin to scratch the surface of what types of coffee are available.
- Hot Cocoa, hot chocolate, hot white chocolate and other variants.
- Hot ciders!
- All the different teas you can imagine from well respected tea makers.
- Decaffeinated coffees of all types and even a few half-decaf ones for added measure!
- Flavored coffee’s like French Vanilla, Hazelnut and types that capture the flavor of cappuccino and other espresso based drinks.
- Excellent variety of “Brew-over” Iced Teas and Iced Coffee’s, which are gaining a large following.
- Re-usable K-Cups (branded MY K-Cup) allows you to fill your own K-Cup with whatever your favorite coffee is, and use it in all Keurig compatible brewers!
Keurig has a large assortment of models available in this category. Based on features, specifications, price and consumer reviews there are two models that really stand out from the crowd. These are the K65 Special Edition and K75 Platinum. Let’s review what each has to offer and what makes each one a top 5 best single cup coffee maker.
The Keurig K65 Special Edition Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System
Despite it not being the top of the line model, the K65 Special Edition could be considered the Cadillac of one cup coffee brewers. It’s more expensive that the base models but you get so much more for the extra price. It is also the best selling model, and has more consumer reviews that virtually any other maker on the market. The chrome accents and vibrant blue, backlit LCD display are stunning and stylish.
Benefits of the Keurig K65 Special Edition Brewing System:
- Brews three cup sizes: 6oz, 8oz and 10oz
- Removable drip tray as well, to fit travel mugs
- Same 48oz water reservoir as the base models
- Auto-off function after 2 hours
- Indicator for descaling
- Programmable feature to turn itself on
- Adjustable temperature up to 192 degrees
- Same wattage and weight of lesser machines (1500 watts, 12 lbs empty)
- Digital clock
- The coffee remains consistent, there is no “this coffee is too strong or too weak” business and of course it is as easy to use which is proven by having 91% of B65 reviews include “Easy to use” as a feature.
- It looks really nice and stands out in a modern kitchen. 62% of reviewers mentioned the good looks of this machine.
- It is faster than a regular coffee brewer
- Has a lot of variety for K-Cups
As far as coffee makers go it is nearly perfect! I really love this specific model because as I’ve mentioned, it is the perfect fit as far as budget and functionality go for most coffee lovers. Go ahead and read the hundreds of positive reviews and coffee varieties available right now!
Keurig K75 Platinum Brewing System Reviews
One of the premium offerings for your home is the K75 Platinum single cup hot beverage machine. This Keurig machine costs slightly more than the K65, has a wide range of features, and it’s available in more color options to suit your décor. In fact, the polished exterior and excellent LCD display has helped the K75 to win design awards! If bold and beautiful is what you like, you can’t go wrong with this model. It is stunning!
Benefits of Keurig K75 Platinum:
- Fully programmable. On, off, cup size etc. it’s all done by the LCD panel
- Like other models, has a removable drip tray
- A 60oz removable water reservoir 1500 watts and 12 lbs empty (I think it’s a bit more…)
- Energy savings mode with the auto-off feature
- An amazing five cup size options! 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, 10oz and 12oz
- Water temperature can be adjusted as well (and programmed)
Drawbacks of the K75 Platinum:
- Recurring issues with pump and sporadic cup sizes
- Despite descaling the machine breaks down frequently
- Short lifespan for a high priced unit
This stylish system does seem to have a few durability issues which you can read about further in in the customer reviews section of Amazon. It’s important to note not everyone experiences these issues and there are many happy owners of the K75 Platinum.
The Two Best Tassimo Brewers You Can Buy
Tassimo one cup machines came into the market a little later than its competitors. Introduced first in France in 2004, it soon spread to numerous countries throughout Europe and into North America and Australia as well. Kraft Inc. is the parent company and Braun made pretty much all of the Tassimo coffee brewers until 2008. Bosch now produces the majority of machines. While not as popular as Keurig (yet), Tassimo has some advantages that we will get to.
One area where Tassimo falls short of its competition is the variety of beverage available. A few more than 10 brands including Nabob, Twinings of London, Carte Noir and Maxwell House make the 30-40 or so available T-Discs. Keurig has 248 beverages available on their website, and Coffee Pods are available in even more varieties!
The main advantage Tassimo has however is the T-Disc itself; it has a barcode that tells the coffee machine exactly how to make the beverage. From amount of water, temperature, brew time and more, you can be sure you get an excellent quality drink every time. Furthermore, the T-Disc contains measured amounts of all ingredients needed like quality coffee, hot chocolate and even concentrated milk product. That’s right! Tassimo gives you the ability to also make milk based drinks! The beverages possible are:
- Many different blends of coffee from dark roast to mild, including decaffeinated French roast, French vanilla, Swiss hazelnut and Caffe Crema by various brands
- Tea from Twinings like Earl Grey and Chai Tea Latte
- A few varieties of hot chocolate (try a real milk creamer T-Disc to make it super creamy or an espresso T-Disc and get Mocha!)
- Quite a few cappuccino beverages, some of which are decaf and/or skinny (low fat) Latte’s like Gevalia Caramel Latte Macchiato and other regular or caramel lattes
- A surprising selection of espresso, rich crema included!
- A delicious sweet and creamy iced coffee by Gevalia
Of course like all one cup brewers, you can make drink after drink with no taste transfer at all. An added benefit to Tassimo brewers is the ability to take manual control of the system to customize drinks making them stronger or weaker as you desire.
There are lots of models available to purchase, but for regular households there are basically 2 models you’d choose from. The Tassimo Intermediate (commonly referred to as T20 Home Brewing System), the Tassimo Suprema (T45) are the two that make our list of the top 5 best single cup coffee machines.
TassimoT20 (Intermediate) Home Brewing System
The T20 Tassimo beverage maker is a fantastic entry point into the world of one cup brewers. It’s inexpensive and can be found for under 100 dollars. As with most brewing systems it also comes with the obligatory sample pack. The T20 will accept all T-Discs so if you want to start somewhere…well you could do much worse than starting here!
Benefits of the Tassimo T20 Intermediate:
- You can adjust the cup stand in order to use various cup sizes
- Most of the movable parts are dishwasher safe to make cleaning even easier
- Use the manual function to customize beverage strength and taste
- Flow-through water heater for faster brewing
- 50oz water reservoir
- A light-weight 5.6lbs empty
Drawbacks of the Tassimo T20 Intermediate:
- No clock feature
- No auto-on or auto-off
- No water filter like higher models have (so hopefully you have a water conditioner or alternative)
- Slightly smaller water reservoir than upscale models
- Won’t work well in altitudes over 6500 feet
Despite Keurig coffee makers having a much larger selection of brands and varieties of coffee, if I had to choose a starter machine I think I’d pick up one of Tassimo’s T20 single serve coffee makers. I appreciate the fact they make milk based beverages, and I am confident in the quality of T-Disc brands. Want to know more about Tassimo T20? Click Here for more customer reviews and price information!
The Tassimo T45 (Suprema) Home Brewing System Reviewed For You
The Suprema is by all means an upgrade over the Tassimo T20, even though by default there is no difference in the quality of beverage they produce. For the extra 40 dollars (the T45 retails for about 140 dollars, but is often even cheaper!) the differences are generally cosmetic. There are some functional differences such as a Mavea Maxtra water filter.
Benefits of the Tassimo T45 Suprema:
- Adjustable cup stand just like the T20
- Again the movable parts are safe to put in the dishwasher
- Ability to customize the strength of the beverage with the manual override button
- Available in different color options to match your décor
- Chrome finished details (buttons, beverage outlet etc)
- Removable 61oz water tank including LCD filter monitor
- About 6.5 lbs empty
Drawbacks of the Tassimo T45 Suprema:
- Many consumers report the lifespan seems short at about 2 years
- The extra 40 dollars on the price tag does not get you much
- Still no clock or programmable features
- Not suitable for altitudes over 6500 feet just like the T20
The extra 40 dollars for this model could be spent on more T-Discs for the T20. While the Suprema is a popular model and of course makes a very satisfying beverage, it also looks fantastic on your counter. For more information provided by consumers on these one cup brewers, visit Amazon by clicking this link!
The Fifth Entry: The Senseo 7810
Senseo single serving coffee machines use Coffee Pods; however they only use Senseo Pods. This is an important distinction that must be made, since Senseo explicitly states their machine works only with their branded Pods. Nevertheless, they do offer a fairly wide range of blends, and some flavored varieties as well. Keep in mind a few blends are as of yet only available online!
- Mild roast, Medium roast, Dark roast and decaffeinated blends
- Vanilla and Hazelnut and a few others via the ‘City Sensations’ varieties
- A Cappuccino blend with creamer in the pod
- ‘Origin’ blends like Sumatra, Brazil, Kenya and Columbia
- Some tea and other specialty varieties like Mocha are available
There is also an aftermarket addition to the Senseo 7810 called the Coffeeduck. This filter essentially lets you use your own favorite coffee in the machine, which results in savings over having to buy the more expensive Pods.
The Coffee Pods are best stored in a cool environment, not the freezer, and after opening the package of Pods it’s suggested to never store them in the refrigerator due to the risk of absorbing moisture or odor which can alter the taste. As you can see, Senseo machines seem to be best suited to those individuals that like a standard type drip coffee regardless of the blend. And for those purposes the 7810 is ideal!
Senseo 7810 Review
The Senseo is a no-fluff machine that comes at a fantastic price. It works with all Senseo Coffee Pods and brews a 4 oz cup or an 8 oz cup of your favorite blend of coffee. There is of course no taste transfer if you brew two different beverages one after another, and the machine comes with a 1 year warranty. The water is heated to 205 degrees, which is standard for a great hot cup of coffee or tea.
Benefits of the Senseo 7810 Coffee Machine:
- Has 2 different pod holders so you can brew one pod (4oz) or two pods (8oz) at a time
- Auto shut-off after 1 hour
- All removable parts are dishwasher safe
- Weighs in at 6lbs
- Brews a great cup of coffee in under a minute!
- Arguably the best tasting coffee, complete with crema, of any pod system
- Virtually no bells or whistles like LED lights or clocks
- No auto-on feature
- Small 32oz water reservoir as compared to other brands
- 4oz standard size
The first cup of delicious coffee takes under 3 minutes, and each cup after that takes only 1 minute or less. As I mentioned, the coffee made is truly a treat! The crema is present, and you get the full flavor of the blend. The price of these brewers has gone up, but the price for pods is very reasonable. Consumers agree the machine is long lasting, and you can read their opinions right here.
All of these awesome and affordable single serving coffee machines are easy to use, and make great beverages. That’s why they are the top 5 best single cup coffee maker! Whether you choose Keurig, Tassimo or Senseo is up to your personal preference.
Thanks for reading this article! If you are looking for more information, visit the category homepage to browse our selection of articles. Be sure to visit my best review site often to read lists of the top rated products and services.
Before you go buy your brewer, please Like, Tweet or Google+1! Thanks!